Monday, September 24, 2007

Crazy drunk man or dead man walking???

Yesterday afternoon, Dustin, the kids, and I all went to the Lake . Had a great time. Then we went to Meers to eat. The Burgers were yummy. They messed mine up so by the time they had mine remade, everyone else had just about finished theirs. We decided to forgo the ice cream we had decided on because Nathan had started fussing. So we decided to leave. It had gotten dark. As we were driving (keep in mind there is nothing anywhere around. Meers is out in the boondocks) something white catches my eye. I look over and wasn't sure of what I was seeing. I told Dustin "Dustin, I think I just saw a body in the ditch laying face down, not moving". Yes you heard me right, a body! Dustin was like "What? Really?, DO I need to turn around?" And I sat there for a sec and then said "yes, you need to turn around." I wasn't sure what to do and here is one of my worst fears coming true. We turn around and drive back down the road trying to see if we can see anything on that side of the road. And sure enough there is someone laying in the ditch face down not moving. I get my cell out to call 911. No cell reception. So we go back to the resteraunt and have them call 911. I was feeling like everything I ate was gonna come back up. I was shaking like crazy. After they got off the phone with the police I asked them if I needed to wait there for the police or what I needed to do. And they said I had done what I needed to do. They asked me if we had yelled at the guy or if we had said anything to him and I told them "NO i wasn't sure if we should stop...i tried calling 911 but I couldn't get reception on my phone. I don't know if the guy is dead or alive but he was face down in the ditch." Anyways we left to go back down there in case the police needed us or the guy needed help. When we went back the guy was GONE! or we had missed him somewhere along the way. Anyways we flagged down the police and told them what had happened and they said that there is an old indian guy (personally I think the guy I saw was young but I didn't get a good look at him) who drinks and passes out by the road all the time! (The ladies at the resteraunt had told me the same thing) "WHAT"??? Talk about dangerous, not only for the guy but for the people driving...what if he walked out into the road and someone who was driving by ran him over or swerved to miss hitting him and ran off the road. There is a bridge right by where he was laying. (Passed out)
I called up to the resteraunt this afternoon to see if they had heard anything on the man and they hadn't heard anything. They said that by the time they had closed and left for the night that things had been taken care of, there weren't any ambulance or police around. So I am not sure if they ever found the guy or if it was the drunk guy they were telling us about. All I know is it scared the tar out of me! One of my worst fears has always been that I'd be driving down the road and see a dead body laying in a ditch or on the side of the road somewhere. Weird I know but sometimes you hear about stuff like that happening on the News or some crazy tv show you watch. I'll be watching the 10:00 news tonight to see if they say anything about it. I don't know if we did the right thing or not. What does a person do in a situation like that? What are we supposed to do? The police officer acted like it was no big deal because it "Happens all the time". But it isn't something that happens all the time to me. FREAKY!

1 comment:

Suz said...

How scary Bridget!!!